March 17-19, 2023
Friday-Sunday 10 am-4 pm
Studio 55, 55 Howe Road
Tuition: $ 375
More info: email@example.com
This workshop will focus on a variety of innovative techniques with oil /cold wax and pigment sticks. During our time together we will work with a variety of mixed media methods with the wax, exploring its diversity. You will leave the workshop with at least 3 panels that can work separately or together as a triptych. For continuing painters familiar with oil media.
- You are fascinated with Abstraction as a way to bring more personal meaning, excitement and drama into your work.
- You are obsessed with color, texture, and design and want to incorporate these elements more fully into your work:
- You are fascinated with layering processes and the possibilities of layering and excavating- it is kind of an archeological dig.
- You want to learn how to combine pastels and oil pigment sticks in a way that enhances rather than muddies.
- You want to experiment with mark making, doodling and develop a more personal calligraphy and visual vocabulary.
MATERIALS LIST 7You will need 300 lb w/c paper or 4 or 8 ply museum board – 1 full sheet cut up in 6 “ squares for exercises You should have about 15 6″x6″ pieces for samplers. You can also use Arches Oil Paper
- Your collection of oil and collage materials including:
Oil paint, Watercolor crayons, charcoal, oil pastels, water based graphite pencils, colored pencils, Oil paint sticks, graphite pencils. Wax loves Oil. No acrylic paint
- I use R&F Pigment sticks; also workable are Shiva, Winsor Newton & Sennelier
- 3 Additonal Surfaces to work on: Must be Absorbent and Inflexible
3 Wood *or prepared Encaustic panels—8”x8” up to 14”
* 1/2″ birch or finished plywood is grea
4.Gamblin cold wax 1 pint, variety of scraping, spreading tool
4. 1pint Citra Solv or Gamblin’s Gamsol
5. 1 tube Gamblin’s G Gel
6. Variety of scrapers, innovative tools: Meissermeister bowl scraper( from Amazon)
7. Bristle utility brushes , variety of sizes ½”, 1”, 2” – cheap are fine.
9. Collage materials: Papers, Threads, Xerox images, photos
10. Masking Tape for stenciling—11/2 “ , 2-4”
11. Rags/ Wear crummy clothes, Protective gloves and/ or hand creme
Nail scrubber and bar soap