NOVEMBER 7-8, 2020
ONLINE 2 Day Workshop with Mira M. White
This workshop will focus on a variety of innovative techniques with oil /cold wax and pigment sticks. During our time together we will work with a variety of mixed media methods with the wax, exploring its diversity. You will leave the workshop with at least 3 panels that can work separately or together as a triptych. For continuing painters familiar with oil media. We will meet on Zoom and work together from our home studios. Enrollment limited to 10 participants.
- You are fascinated with Abstraction as a way to bring more personal meaning, excitement and drama into your work.
- You are obsessed with color, texture, and design and want to incorporate these elements more fully into your work:
- You are fascinated with layering processes and the possibilities of layering and excavating- it is kind of an archeological dig.
- You want to learn how to combine pastels and oil pigment sticks in a way that enhances rather than muddies.
- You want to experiment with mark making, doodling and develop a more personal calligraphy and visual vocabulary.
Tuition: $300 payable thru paypal
Expressions in Wax, Oil and Pigment Sticks
MATERIALS LIST 7You will need 300 lb w/c paper or 4 or 8 ply museum board – 1 full sheet cut up in 6 “ squares for exercises You should have about 15 6″x6″ pieces for samplers. You can also use Arches Oil Paper
- Your collection of oil and collage materials including:
Watercolor crayons, charcoal, oil pastels, water based graphite pencils, colored pencils, Oil paint sticks, graphite pencils. Wax loves Oil. No acrylic paint
- 3 Additonal Surfaces to work on: Must be Absorbent and Inflexible
3 Wood *or prepared Encaustic panels—8”x8” up to 14”
* 1/2″ birch or finished plywood is great
Gamblin cold wax 1 pint, variety of scraping, spreading tool
3 Bristle utility brushes , variety of sizes ½”, 1”, 2” – cheap are fine.
Collage materials: Papers, Threads, Xerox images, photos
Masking Tape for stenciling—1/2 “ , 1”
Rags/ Wear crummy clothes, bring an oven mitt,
Protective gloves and/ or hand creme
Nail scrubber and bar soap